What You Will See on Folklore Show “Feel Yourself Russian”
St Petersburg is an astonishingly beautiful city filled with art, history and character. It offers both locals and visitors a diverse entertainment program. You can enjoy your leisure time at various venues: from aqua parks, billiard or bowling clubs to nightclubs, jazz performances, music bars and folklore festive shows. This tour in the cozy and nicely decorated Nikolaevsky Palace will give you an opportunity to see unforgettable folk show performance «Feel Yourself Russian»!
Enjoy this unique chance of getting acquainted with the history and cultural traditions of Russia!
What a nice thing to be a guest of Grand Duce Nicholas whose name the Palace bears!
You will be listening and get acquainted with:
- Classical quartet is playing lovely melodies of the XVIII century; a stunning Lady in crinolines and a handsome Gentleman who are welcoming guests at the Gala Staircase of the Palace.
- “Peters Quartet”: classical performance of folk songs and Russian lyrical romances.
- “Maidan” which is a Cossack song- and dance group. The name gets its origin from the place, where all Cossacks used to assemble in older times and where decisions were made ‘”by the whole world”. The group skillfully reproduces on stage Cossack songs and dances in their original costumes.
- “Stars of St Petersburg” which is a dance group. Its repertoire covers lyrical dances of the Russian North, passionate dances of the Cossacks, dancing miniatures of the Urals and Siberia with their subtle humor.
- Spectators of all ages and tastes will be able to appreciate not only the ability of the actors to bring Russian national spirit to the stage but also their highest skills of acrobatic feats and breath-taking leaps
History of the Nikolayevsky Palace (Palace of Grand Duke Nicholas)
Although St Petersburg may no longer be the Imperil capital of Russia, it certainly fairs well when it comes to events and things to do in St. Petersburg boasting an excellent festive scene. Many of the various festivals and competitions are held in St Petersburg in summer, especially during White Nights period. Russian folklore performances including folk singing, dancing and special festive programs are regularly arranged in the Nikolaevsky Palace.
If you walk further Konnogvardeyskiy Boulevard, you will soon reach the Truda Square (Labor Square) dominated by the large Nikolaevskiy Palace built originally for Grand Duke Nicholas. The palace was erected in the middle of 19th century. There are there storeys each decorated by rows of pilasters. After the revolution of 1917 the palace was used by the Leningrad Trade Unions and called the Palace of Labour. From this came the name of Truda (Labour) Square.
Folklore Show “Feel yourself Russian” last 1 hour 50 minutes and during this dynamic colorful and picturesque show, you will:
- see how Russians an play music on saws and wooden spoons
- have a chance to be chosen to dance together with attractive Russian maidens and cavaliers right on the stage
- learn why a foreigner can fall in love with Russians once and forever just hearing “Kalinka” song
- be offered some fruit canapes with red caviar, variety of cold starters including Russian style Salami, cheese, vodka, champagne, red wine, mineral water and juice.